February 09, 2018

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga Review


Title: My Heart and Other Black Holes

Author: Jasmine Warga

Release Date: February 10th, 2015

My Rating: 5
 Stars

Format: E-book

I want to say something about this book but where do I begin? This was such a complicated yet beautiful book, even the terrible, sad parts.

I’ve read books about suicide before but they normally don’t have that amount of hope in them, which is what I felt when reading. I loved the characters, they have so much passion and potential but they still direct all that energy toward their goal, to die.

This is a book that really shows that the way we see ourselves isn’t very reliable, but when we let guilt or shame or anything takes place we start to see ourselves in a way the others don’t, and we usually don’t like it.

This is about Aysel and Roman whose common goal is to die, and they become suicide partners, they feel like they could identify with one another. Aysel is smart even though she doesn’t admit it, she’s insightful and she made me understand her wanting to die but having hope at the same time. She slowly started changing her mind about dying and that was inspiring.

Her relationship with Roman was just supposed to be about being suicide partners, but they start becoming friends, and then there are feelings, and watching that relationship evolve was so exciting. Aysel and Roman see each other differently, and that’s what a relationship should be, see the other one in a beautiful way and want them to see that too.

Aysel didn’t “give up” on dying because of Roman, which I liked, but he was a means to a reason for her to understand that she had so much more to live, she started caring about herself and the others around her, and she finally realized that they didn’t see her as the daughter of that guy who killed Timothy.

This book deals with a heavy topic but still manages to make it funny and inspiring. I really enjoyed reading this and I just can’t wait to read more of this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eliza and Her Monsters by francesca Zappia | Review

Title:  Eliza and her Monsters Author:  Francesca Zappia Release Date:   May 30th, 2017 My Rating:  4.5   Star s Format:  Physic...