November 21, 2018

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas | Review


Title: The Hate U Give

Author: Angie Thomas

Release Date: February 28th, 2017

My Rating: 5
 Stars

Format: Physical Book (Paperback)

I loved this book (I feel like I start all my 5 star reviews like this but oh well, I did love it), it did have some things that I wasn’t a fan of at the beginning, felt it quite slow but as I was reading it I started feeling like yes, it was the right pace and it kind of was giving us a warning of what was about to happen, and it’s also how it happens in real life, we’re always afraid to talk and take a really long time to finally do it, or even never doing it at all.

Starr is fantastic, she has a voice, first, she was scared but once she made up her mind that something had to be done she was strong and authentic and confident. The family is also amazing, they are there for her no matter what and that is a healthy family, they have their ups and downs but at the end, they are a family and that’s what matters right?

The strongest subject of this book is obviously the political criticism, the Black Lives Matter awareness and how white cops are set free for killing someone just because of their color. Everyone should read this because it’s such an important topic that is not talked much, it’s better these days than it was in the 20th century but still I don’t think people talk much about it. It addresses racism and discrimination. I never thought about some of the topics the way they are shown, the way black people see it because I’m white and because I don’t have those problems in my life, so I never got to see or read (because there aren’t many books about this) and I was glad that I had the opportunity of learning a bit more.

When you think your voice isn’t worth it and won’t change anything, think again, it will change something, even if it’s just one person’s life. Find your voice!

Pick this book up, it’s important and you will learn a lot from it, I highly recommend it and it just became one of my favorites this year.


2 comments:

  1. I agree! Overall, I loved this book, but it was too slow and predictable for my tastes. I still need to see the movie. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not going to change the rating in here right now but after a few months I decided to lower it to 4 stars.

      Delete

Eliza and Her Monsters by francesca Zappia | Review

Title:  Eliza and her Monsters Author:  Francesca Zappia Release Date:   May 30th, 2017 My Rating:  4.5   Star s Format:  Physic...