November 16, 2017

New On My Shelves #1

Since I'm (recently) a book lover, nerd, whatever you want to name it, I seem to be incapable of buying a book every time I travel somewhere even if it's an hour away from home. So I bought and received some books, the ones I'm going to show you are the ones I bought since September, so it's not that bad.


Where it began...

So first of all, I bought The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell.
When I saw these books in the store online where I normally buy I went like "They finally translated these books? I need them!" and I bought them... Oops. But I'm super excited to get to them! And I freaking love the Portuguese cover of Carry On! 
Anyways, here's the summary of these 2 books. Oh, and I also received a free book with this package, so that's cool. I received Lost for Words by Alice Kuipers.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.


Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord trying to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.



But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.


Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.


That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.



Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.



Carry On - The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow is a ghost story, a love story and a mystery. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story - but far, far more monsters.


Lost For Words by Alice Kuipers

My New Year's resolution: I'm moving on from everything that's happened. I'm not going to talk about it, think about it, let the memory pounce upon me like a waiting tiger, nothing.



All Sophie wants to do is forget. But it's not easy now that everything's changed. The house feels too big, school drags on for too long, lights are too bright, the room spins, and her hands get sweaty for no reason. And she can't remember why she was ever best friends with Abigail, who is obsessed with parties and boys. Only the new girl, Rosa-Leigh, with her prose poems and utter confidence, might understand. But talking to her seems impossible.

Lost in memories of the life she once had, Sophie retreats into herself. But there's only so long she can keep everything bottled up inside before she explodes. Maybe by confronting the tragedy of her past, she'll figure out how to fix her future. 


Then, like 2 days later, a discount happens, and a really good one, so I decided to buy the only John Green book that I didn't own and another one that I've been meaning to buy but they never had it in store. It only had been translated in June or July.
So the books are Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle, and the other one is Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman.

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today’s bestselling teen authors—John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle—the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses.

Lying About Last Summer by Sue Wallman
Skye is looking for an escape from the reality of last summer when her sister died in a tragic accident. Her parents think that a camp for troubled teenagers might help her process her grief. All of the kids at the summer camp have lost someone close, but is bringing them together such a good idea? And can everyone at camp be trusted? When Skye starts receiving text messages from someone pretending to be her dead sister, she knows it's time to confront the past. But what if the danger is right in front of her?

After this point is books that I received (by my parents).
After that I said to myself not to buy more, normally I don't buy more than 2 books in a month and I bought 4 in a week. So I was really glad when my dad asked me if I wanted a book, because he was going to buy groceries and I had school, so I told them if they had The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz that I wanted that. And I got home with the book laying on my bed. 

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
The first day of senior year:


Everything is about to change. Until this moment, Sal has always been certain of his place with his adoptive gay father and their loving Mexican-American family. But now his own history unexpectedly haunts him, and life-altering events force him and his best friend, Samantha, to confront issues of faith, loss, and grief.



Suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and discovering that he no longer knows who he really is—but if Sal’s not who he thought he was, who is he?


Moving on to this month, I saw in a book magazine subscription that they had Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Novel illustrated by David Polonsky, and I told my mom that it sounded cool and I would like to have it but it could wait, and last week I got home from gym with the book in the living room. This one I didn't directly ask, so it was so cool to get home to this, I still need to read Anne Frank's Diary, the normal version, which I already have, but after reading that I'm excited to read the Graphic Novel.

Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Novel illustrated by David Polonsky
The only graphic novelization of Anne Frank's diary that has been authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation and that uses text from the diary--it will introduce a new generation of young readers to this classic of Holocaust literature. 


This adaptation of Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl into a graphic version for a young readership, maintains the integrity and power of the original work. With stunning, expressive illustrations and ample direct quotation from the diary, this edition will expand the readership for this important and lasting work of history and literature.


And last but not least I got The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza, and this one I actually received in a giveaway, which is awesome because I never had luck with those. I'm not the crime and murderer solving book type, but I’m still hoping to like it. At least I know the book will be loved by my mom, she was actually the reason I even participated.

The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza
Her eyes are wide open. Her lips parted as if to speak. Her dead body frozen in the ice…She is not the only one. 


When a young boy discovers the body of a woman beneath a thick sheet of ice in a South London park, Detective Erika Foster is called in to lead the murder investigation. 



The victim, a beautiful young socialite, appeared to have a perfect life. Yet when Erika begins to dig deeper, she starts to connect the dots between the murder and the killings of three prostitutes, all found strangled, hands bound and dumped in the water around London. 



What dark secrets is the girl in the ice hiding? 



As Erika inches closer to uncovering the truth, the killer is closing in on Erika. 



The last investigation Erika led went badly wrong… resulting in the death of her husband. With her career hanging by a thread, Erika must now battle her own personal demons as well as a killer more deadly than any she’s faced before. But will she get to him before he strikes again?



A page-turning thriller packed with suspense. If you like Angela Marsons, Rachel Abbott and Karin Slaughter, discover Robert Bryndza’s new series today. 



Watch out for more from DCI Erika Foster



She’s fearless. Respected. Unstoppable. Detective Erika Foster will catch a killer, whatever it takes.


And that's it! I actually accumulated quite a while in 3 months, not that I'm complaining, it's awesome, but now my 20 books TBR went up, and while school is going I can't focus as much in reading as I wanted, so my TBR will only grow. Oops.

Have you read any of these books? what did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eliza and Her Monsters by francesca Zappia | Review

Title:  Eliza and her Monsters Author:  Francesca Zappia Release Date:   May 30th, 2017 My Rating:  4.5   Star s Format:  Physic...