June 18, 2018

Girl in Pieces by Katherine Glasgow Review!


Title: Girl in Pieces

Author: Kathleen Glasgow

Release Date: August 30th, 2016

My Rating: 5
 Stars


Format: E-book
This is a sad story, told in a bad and raw portrait, I was intrigued by the synopsis but I wasn’t prepared for what I read. I couldn’t put it down, I just wanted more and more, I needed to know what was going to happen next. This book contains mental-illness, self-harm, rape, love, abuse, and omg I just couldn’t stop! This book shows you how overwhelming life can be, and what happens when too much happens to fast.

Charlie is 17 years old and lived more than people manage to live in a lifetime. Her father was a depressed and an alcoholic man, her mother barely staying alive, she neglect’s Charlie and gives up on life after her husband passed.  Her best friend is basically dead and that’s is the main event that starts the destructive events in the future.

I loved the writing style, the author’s representation of mental illness and self-harm is so accurate and it really represents the ugliness of the disease and the truth that people don’t cut because they want attention. All the characters in this book have/had struggles and most of them couldn’t fight them back and others are trying to kill the demon inside. This is a heart-breaking story but also beautiful, it’s slow paced but that is the only way you could write something like this, it has to be cautious to tell the story. In the end, I found out that this is basically a self-portrait because the author herself used to be a cutter.

The end leaves questions like, what happens next? What happens to Riley? What happens to Ellis? What about Charlie’s mother? Argh, I just can’t, I need answers.

This book runs a deep story and must be read by everyone who enjoys knowing more about mental illness. This is a book about survival. Read it! You won’t regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eliza and Her Monsters by francesca Zappia | Review

Title:  Eliza and her Monsters Author:  Francesca Zappia Release Date:   May 30th, 2017 My Rating:  4.5   Star s Format:  Physic...