September 26, 2018

The Inexplicable Logic of my Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz | Review


Title: The Inexplicable Logic of my Life

Author: Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Release Date: March 7th, 2017

My Rating: 5
 Stars


Format: Physical Book (Paperback)
Loved everything about this book, every character, every story. It was heart-breaking and I cried multiple times, and the last time a book made me cry was probably last year.

Now… Where do I begin?


How can I get over the fact that I finished it? It’s over. Done…


I really don’t know what to write. I have a book hangover, I still can’t believe that it’s finished… So… Salvador, Sal, my dear Sally, I loved this character so much, he lost his mother when he was 3 years old and was adopted by his mother’s best friend, and he is the best dad anyone could ask for apparently, he’s also gay, so there’s the beginning of multiple punching action scenes that happened, they called his dad names and he didn’t like it. He also didn’t know what gotten into him to make him turn to violence when shit happens. Probably his biological father. Whom he had never met.


There’s also the best friend, Samantha, or Sam, or Sammy. She had a horrible relationship with her mother, also never met her father, only once when he needed money. Things happened and I cried, the first time I cried. 


Then the friend that slowly became the best friend because more things happened and I cried again! He also had a rough relationship with his mom, a drug addict, and I don’t think he ever met his dad, it wasn’t something that they talked a lot. Again, more things happened and guess what? There are more tears in my eyes.

OK, now that I talked about the friends why not talk about the family? Very supportive, even though he never met his dad, and his mom died, and he was adopted by this Mexican-American dad, his family never made him feel like an outsider like most stories that show adoption, they made him feel like he was also Mexican, he never thought about his bio dad until he started punching people. 

There’s his Mima, his grandmother, that had cancer a few years back and it returned, so he spends a lot of time remembering things, talking to her on the phone, being there for her, being supportive. 


I think I should stop writing, I’m still emotional, the ending got me good, I cried so much I had to take a break because I couldn’t read properly.


I really loved this book, I missed saying that I had a new favorite book and this got into that category. So emotional, so real, so deep. Amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I’m so happy you liked it! I loved Aristotle & Dante and really need to pick this one up someday. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read Aristotle & Dante, heard great things about it and after reading this one I got so excited for A&D!! Can't wait.
      And thank you for the lovely words! you're so sweet 😍

      Delete

Eliza and Her Monsters by francesca Zappia | Review

Title:  Eliza and her Monsters Author:  Francesca Zappia Release Date:   May 30th, 2017 My Rating:  4.5   Star s Format:  Physic...